Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas are generally printed and mailed six to eight weeks after the conclusion of your final semester. If you need official verification of your degree before you receive your diploma, please contact the Verification or Transcript department. If you requested that we "Hold for Pick-Up," or if your diploma mailing address is in the 90007 or 90089 zip codes, the Registrar One Stop Center will email you a notice when your diploma is ready for pick-up.

Where will USC mail my diploma?
Unless you have made other arrangements or have a mailing address in the immediate 90007 or 90089 zip codes (see above), the Degree Progress department will mail your diploma to your permanent address. You may request that we mail your diploma to your local address or hold it for pick-up. When an order is placed with our diploma vendor, the Degree Progress department will pull a student's local and permanent addresses from the university's Student Information System (SIS). No updates can be made after the order is placed. If you would like to verify and/or change your local or permanent address, please update your address in OASIS or contact Verifications in the Trojan Hall (TRO) lobby.

How do I receive a replacement for my damaged or lost diploma?
You can request a reissue of your diploma by completing the Application for Diploma Reissue Form. Reissued diplomas adhere to the current format, and bear the signatures of current university officers, NO EXCEPTIONS. Please note: A "reissue" statement appears on all reissued diplomas. There is a fee for reissuing a diploma. See the form for details.

What if I need someone else to pick up my diploma?
The person who picks up the diploma must bring a signed authorization from the record owner, along with a clear copy of the record owner's valid government-issued photo ID. The Registrar One Stop Center reviews such requests on a case-by-case basis.

Will my diploma reflect university or departmental honors, if earned?
Diplomas reflect university honors (cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude) for undergraduate degrees. They do not reflect departmental honors. However, departmental honors, if earned, will be noted on your transcript. University honors are not granted to graduate degrees.

Will my diploma reflect my concentration or emphasis within my major?
In general, diplomas do NOT reflect areas of concentration, specialization or emphasis. Depending on your major, your concentration or emphasis may appear on your transcript.

How can I make sure I receive my diploma if I am moving shortly after graduation?
You can request that your diploma be held for pick up: (1) in person at the Registrar One Stop Center (JHH 106); (2) by emailing us your request; or (3) by calling Degree Progress at (213) 740-7070. Any request must be made before your degree is awarded. Be sure to leave mail-forwarding instructions with the U.S. Postal Service, and check your USC email, to ensure you receive notification when your diploma is ready to be picked up.

What size frame should I buy if I want to frame the diploma?
All bachelor's, master's and PhD degree certificates are 8.5" high x 11" wide.
MD, JD, PharmD and DDS degree certificates are 11" high x 14" wide.
Minor certificates, issued since late 1998, are 6" high x 8" wide.

Do students pursuing a DOUBLE MAJOR receive one or two diploma certificates?
By definition, a double major is two (or more) areas combined into a single degree (B.A. or B.S.). You will receive one diploma certificate. (See the Second Bachelor's section below and your academic advisor for more information.)

Do students pursuing a SECOND BACHELOR'S degree receive one or two diploma certificates?
To complete a second bachelor's degree, a student must complete all the requirements for both degrees, including a minimum of 32 units beyond all the requirements for the first degree, in residence. As the title implies, successful completion of a second bachelor's program of study will result in a separate certificate for each degree. (See the Double Major section above for more information.)

What should I do if I have not received my diploma in the mail after several weeks?
If it has been more than three months since you received your congratulatory email, please contact the Registrar One Stop Center at email us from your USC email account, to inquire about a reissue. Be sure to include your USC ID number. We usually wait 10 weeks for returned mail from domestic addresses, and 14 weeks from international addresses, before reissuing diplomas. Be sure to verify that your mailing address is valid, and that you do not have any activity restrictions that might have prevented your diploma from being printed.

What should I do if my diploma arrived but was damaged in transit?
Please complete the Application for Diploma Reissue form and return it to the Registrar One Stop Center with a clear photocopy of your valid government-issued photo ID, the damaged diploma AND the original mailer (so that we can verify the in-transit damage). If the original mailer is returned, we will waive the reprint fee.

Questions or comments?
email us