Frequently Asked Questions

Can I access my verification on the Web?
Yes! You will need at least 128-bit encryption to view your verification on OASIS. If your current browser does not support 128-bit encryption, we recommend you download a 128-bit version.
Note: The enrollment verification displayed on OASIS is primarily for your own use and is not considered official.

How will I know when my verification has been mailed?
You will receive e-mail notification of the status of Web-ordered transcripts. Once you have created an account with Parchment, you can log in to the Parchment site to check the status of your orders. Tracking is not available for orders placed in person or by mail. To check the status of your order, please call the Transcript department at (213) 740-7445.

Who has access to my academic record?
In addition to the student and anyone they may authorize, school officials who have demonstrated a "legitimate educational interest" to the Registrar, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), may access your academic record.

What can I do if there is a "hold" on my record?
You should contact the department that has placed the hold on your record (such as Collections, Loans, etc.). If you are unsure who placed the hold on your record, contact the Transcript or Verification department at (213) 740-7445 or (213) 740-9230.

Where do I go if I am a USC graduate student and I've been asked to verify my prior degree?
Follow this link for information.