How to File
- Filing Procedures
- Required Forms For First-Time Applicants
- ASE Forms Required for Continuing Students
- Adding or Changing Major or Degree Objective
Applicants must be admitted and enrolled at USC. However, if they are not admitted to USC, they must be admitted to another institution and be registered for a course or courses at USC. In such cases, joint (concurrent) certification is processed with the other school. Graduate students are allowed one year of enrollment before they are required to be fully admitted. Undergraduates must be fully admitted before filing.
All VA forms for first-time applicants, continuing students, and transfer students can be obtained online at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.
Students who wish to receive educational assistance must complete the online Application for Semester Entitlement (ASE) form each semester after class registration. The USC Veterans Certification Office will not certify students without a recent request on file.
Processing applications takes the Veterans Administration approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks. After the USC Veterans Certification Office submits your paperwork to the Veterans Administration, you can expect a check for the current enrollment to arrive at the location designated in the address section of the ASE form six (6) to eight (8) weeks later. Thereafter, checks will arrive at the beginning of each month for the previous month. After you have been certified, questions concerning payment should be directed to the Veterans Administration at 1-888-GIBILL-1.
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-1990). For new applicants under VA programs: Chapter 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 (eligible veterans).
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-5490). For new applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans).
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-1990E). For transfer of entitlement under VA program: Chapter 33 (eligible dependents of veterans).
- VA AUTHORIZATION FORM (VA 28-1905). For Vocational Rehabilitation under VA program: Chapter 31 (form must be submitted by VA Case Manager).
Note: All VA applications can be found online via VONAPP (Veterans Online Application), with the exception of VA 28-1905 for Chapter 31. Please retain a copy for your USC file.
After class registration, first-time applicants must submit the following items:
- Completed online ASE form (each semester).
- Copy of the VONAPP application or submission confirmation page:
- Found on the VA website.
- For questions, please call 1-888-GIBILL-1
- Copy of the VA certificate of eligibility:
- Required for Yellow Ribbon applicants.
- This will be mailed by the VA directly to the student in response to the VONAPP application.
Email items 2 and 3 to email@example.com or fax to (213) 821-3760.
Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) recipients, the items listed above are all needed from Yellow Ribbon applicants. Vocational Rehabilitation recipients (Ch. 31), items 2 and 3 are not required.
Each semester, continuing students must complete the online Application for Semester Entitlement. The USC Veterans Certification Office certifies enrollment for past semesters, up to one year. Certification for future semesters is not available.
If you are new to USC and have received VA educational benefits at another school, you must complete and sign the appropriate form below and return it to the USC Veteran Affairs Office.
- VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-1995). For applicants under VA programs: Chapter 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 (eligible veterans).
- VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-5495). For applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans).
Email questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.