USC offers a large variety and number of off-campus courses and programs (a set of courses taken usually during the summer, a semester, or full year), all of which must be approved and subsequently reviewed by the Off-campus Studies Panel (OSP). The primary goal of OSP review is to determine that there is an academic purpose for taking students overseas and that health and safety considerations have been addressed. In addition, subsequent review of courses and programs, with overseas components, ensure that the offerings are well received, the courses and programs are academic in nature, and that health and safety are continually addressed.
Courses and programs which take place for any length of time overseas, or a semester or more off-campus domestically, require review and approval by relevant subject area subcommittee and OSP. Any program that includes courses from another institution is also reviewed by the Registrar’s Articulation Office, which reviews that the unit value of another institution’s coursework translates appropriately into USC units.
Courses with an overseas component, typically take place during the spring or summer semesters or winter break. Health, Safety and Lodging Information is required either in the attached syllabus or in accompanying addendum.
Special topics (temporary course offerings) are approved by OSP for their duration. Regular Courses, with a specified location, are approved by OSP for five years (unless otherwise specified). Student evaluations must be collected after the completion of each course offering.
|*Please note, OSP may request a shorter review period than stated above.|
- New courses with an overseas component are submitted via the 18-19 Course: New approval process in Curriculog. These courses will be recorded in SIS CATALOG as well as USC Catalogue.
- Revised courses, with revision to catalogue information, as well as the overseas component, should be submitted via the 18-19 Course: Revise approval process in Curriculog.
- Special Topics courses, and existing courses adding a new location, but not changing any catalogue information, are submitted via the Off-Campus Course: New 499/599 / Add Location to Existing Course approval process in Curriculog. Special Topics course must also be submitted via Kuali for scheduling, after OSP approval.
- All previously approved courses up for review are submitted via the Off-Campus Course: Review Existing Course approval process in Curriculog. An OSP Student Evaluation form must be attached along with other required review materials.
Overseas and off-campus semester-length programs, consisting of USC courses or courses from other institutions, are typically a semester (spring, summer or fall) or year long. They are typically approved by OSP for five years. Student evaluations must be collected after the completion of each program offering.
- All new, revised and previously approved programs up for review programs are submitted via Off-Campus Program: New / Revise / Review approval process in Curriculog. An OSP Student Evaluation form must be attached along with other required review materials for renewal
- Any program that will no longer be offered should be submitted via the Off-Campus Program: Terminate approval process so the CCO knows not to assess further reviews.
REMINDER: USC LEGAL REQUIREMENTS
USC requires certain documents (e.g., Travel Release Form, Medical Treatment Authorization Form) for all students studying overseas, and also requires a roster of students which must be provided a minimum of 7 days in advance of departure. Further details are available at the website of Student Support and Advocacy, Division of Student Affairs or call (213) 821-4710.