Grading and Correction of Grades

Correction of Grade Process

A Correction of Grade (COG) can be initiated only at the request of a faculty member. Students who are concerned about a posted mark or grade should meet with the appropriate professor to discuss the assigned grade. If it becomes apparent that an error has been made, the instructor should contact their departmental grading coordinator to request a COG procedure be initiated.

If the professor maintains that an appropriate mark has been assigned but the student feels differently, the student should follow the process outlined in SCampus under “Disputed Academic Evaluation Procedures.”

Resolution of Incompletes (IN) & Missing Grades (MG)

Missing Grades (MG) and Incompletes (IN) are often resolved through alternative processes. The following table will help determine how to best address these issues:

Situation Resolution Department or Office
Instructor originally failed to assign a grade and is now prepared to assign final grade. MG to final grade Grades Department to assign final grade.
Instructor assigned an Incomplete (IN) and student has completed course work prior to the deadline date (within one year) within the parameters of the Assignment of an Incomplete (IN) and Requirements for Completion form. IN to final grade Grades Department
IN expired, petition to extend time was granted, and work was completed by the extension date. 1. IN to IX to IN
2. IN to final grade
  1. The Academic Department makes the request to initiate petition
  2. Petition Services process and vets the request
  3. Grade Department to assign final grade
IN expired but course work was completed before the expiration deadline. IN to IX to final grade Grades Department
IN mistakenly assigned. IN or MG to final grade Grades Department
MG resulting from grade sheet not being submitted or a petition to register or add late being approved. MG to final grade Grades Department

Grades Handbook (Revised May 2018)