Limited Status Enrollment
Program Mission: The limited status program is intended for individuals who wish to take a limited number of courses at USC without formally applying for admission to the university.
Individuals who do not have a bachelor’s degree may take up to 16 units. Graduate students may take up to 12 units.
The estimated cost of enrollment at USC for limited status students in fall 2016 is $1,733
per unit. A
4-unit course at USC costs 4 x $1,733 (or $6,932) plus additional student fees. There is also a one-time, nonrefundable $100 processing fee for new limited status students, due at the time of registration. Credit cards, checks and money orders are accepted. Please make checks payable to the "University of Southern California." This policy does not apply to USC staff and faculty.
Academic Eligibility Policies:
- Students who have not yet completed a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for limited status enrollment if they have been denied admission to USC or if they have been academically disqualified or suspended from any community college, college or university.
- At the post-baccalaureate level, limited status enrollment is not available to students who have been denied admission to the department offering the course, unless prior approval is granted by the department and the appropriate dean.
- Enrollment as a limited status student does not guarantee admission to any degree program at USC.
- Financial Aid is not available for limited status students.
- A student must obtain or maintain academic eligibility in accordance with the requirements of the university and the school or department in which the student is enrolled. Academic disqualification may result in revocation of this registration, even if classes have started.
- Prior approval of the department offering the course is required for all limited status enrollment. If a limited status student is subsequently admitted to regular standing, no more than the first 16 undergraduate or the first 12 graduate units taken through limited status enrollment can be applied toward a degree. In very rare situations, individual undergraduate exceptions may be approved by the dean of the degree-conferring unit. For graduate students, the rare exception must be approved by the Vice Provost for Graduate Programs.
Eligibility for Limited Status Enrollment for Holders of Non-immigrant Visas:
- Holders of B-1 and B-2 visas are not eligible for limited status enrollment at USC.
- Applicants for F-1 status on another institution’s I-20 are eligible for limited status enrollment if they will enroll at the I-20 school and USC concurrently. A letter from the international office at the I-20 school verifying enrollment must be submitted along with your limited status application. Applicants for F-1 status not currently maintaining immigration status and/or not enrolling at the I-20 school are not eligible for limited status enrollment at USC.
- Individuals on other visa categories such as A, E, G, H, I, J, L, O, P, Q, R and TN are eligible for limited status enrollment if they maintain that visa status. A copy of the passport and I-94 card will be required with the limited status application.
Special Note to Faculty, Staff, and Dependents of University Employees:
- The $100 processing fee is waived for the groups listed above.
- Employees may enroll in a course to earn a letter grade if their hiring department agrees to pay for the course; otherwise, employees should register for the course with the Audit grade option to avoid tuition charges.
- After registering for the course, employees should submit forms required by Benefits Administration to secure tuition assistance.
Instructions to Register as a Limited Status Student:
- Complete the Limited Status Registration Form.
- Contact the department offering the course you wish to take and request permission to enroll (department phone numbers are shown with their course listings in the Schedule of Classes).
- Submit the form and $100 processing fee to the Registrar One Stop Center, located in the JHH lobby, in person or by mail at the address below after you have received permission from the department offering the course. If you wish to mail in your form, please include a copy of your driver’s license or passport. If you wish to mail your payment, please consider using certified mail.
If you are unable to present the completed form in person, you may designate a representative to act on your behalf. Your representative must bring the completed form, a copy of your driver’s license or passport, and a written authorization letter (a brief statement designating that person as your agent will suffice). The representative must also show photo ID.
Registrar One Stop Center
700 Childs Way, JHH 106
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0912
Phone: (213) 740-8500
Setting Up Your Account and Paying Fees:
Once we process your request, we will email you confirmation of your registration. To pay your tuition bill and to activate other student services, please view the post-registration instructions.
University employees should submit the appropriate forms to the Benefits Administration Office before the first day of the semester to avoid late registration fees. Students sponsored by an agency should review the information on the Student Sponsor/Agency Billing website.