Immediate Call to Active Duty
Students called to immediate active military duty should follow the procedures below::
If the student’s deployment date is before the withdrawal deadline:
- Before leaving USC for military duty, the student must present a copy of the deployment orders to the Registrar One-Stop Center located in the JHH lobby. The Registrar's Office will cancel the student’s course enrollment at USC for the current semester, which will result in a reversal of tuition charges for the semester. The student’s transcript will not show marks of W (Withdrawn) for the cancelled courses.
- The student should contact his or her advisor to request a Leave of Absence. (For more information, please refer to the Leave of Absence Handbook at www.usc.edu/loa.)
If the student must deploy after the withdrawal deadline:
- Before leaving USC for military duty, the student must present a copy of the deployment orders to Registrar One-Stop Center located in the JHH lobby. The student’s courses will not be cancelled.
- The student must make arrangements with each professor to receive a mark of Incomplete (IN). The student should also discuss what assignments must be submitted in order to earn a final grade. A student who receives a mark of Incomplete under these circumstances may take up to four (4) semesters to complete the remaining work. If the student does not finish the work during this special four-semester period, the marks of IN will default to W (Withdraw)..
- The student should contact his or her academic advisor to request a Leave of Absence. For more information, please refer to the Leave of Absence Handbook.
Students who wish to return to USC after military duty:
- The returning student should contact the Registrar One-Stop Center (213) 740-8500 or email us to obtain a registration appointment time for the next semester.
- The student must contact his or her academic advisor to request a removal of the Leave of Absence hold and to discuss a class schedule for the semester.
- Returning students with questions about VA benefits may contact Samantha Marquez or Poly Chuong, USC Veterans Certification Officers, in TCC 330D, at (213) 740-4619 or email@example.com.