Frequently Asked Questions

Academic FAQs for Fall 2021

General Frequently Asked Questions

The mark of MG (Missing Grade) results from the failure of the instructor to assign a grade for you. Grades submitted late require manual entry in the system by the Grades department, which can result in lengthy delays in posting student grades. If you see a mark of MG in OASIS, contact the instructor. Marks of MG still unresolved after one year default to a mark of UW (Unofficial Withdrawal).

The mark of NS (Not Submitted) results from the failure of the instructor to assign a grade for you or failure to submit grades for the class. If you see a grade of NS in OASIS, please contact the instructor to find out when they will provide a final grade. Marks of NS still unresolved after one year default to a mark of UW (Unofficial Withdrawal).

Fill out the Assignment of Incomplete Form and send it to your professor for completion. The professor will list the work you must complete to earn a final grade. You must complete the pending work within one calendar year of the end of the semester in which the IN was assigned. Incompletes unresolved after one year default to a mark of IX (Expired Incomplete).


If you were granted a mark of IN (Incomplete) by your professor, you must contact them to determine what assignments you have pending to obtain a final grade. Your professor will work with the grades coordinator in their department to submit your final grade.


USC does not automatically mail printed grade reports. Students can print a copy of their Completed Course Summary page on OASIS.  The Completed Course Summary shows your name, all your courses, and all your grades earned at USC.

Contact your professor. If the instructor committed an error, they will ask their department grades coordinator to initiate a grade correction.

Faculty members cannot drop students from a course. It is your responsibility to drop courses you do not intend to complete.

The university releases grades on OASIS as soon as the individual faculty members submit them.

WRIT 150 and WRIT 340 will not fulfill undergraduate writing requirements if taken on a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) basis. Use of Pass/No Pass coursework to fulfill major requirements must be approved in writing by the academic department. Coursework required for a minor may not be taken on a P/NP basis.

Only one GE is permitted on a P/NP basis. Students who have previously applied transfer or USC coursework graded P/NP to GE requirements may not apply additional coursework taken on a P/NP basis.

Students entering USC in fall 2021 can earn up to 24 units of Pass/No Pass credit. This applies to all undergraduate coursework, whether taken at USC or in transfer.

Students who started at USC before fall 2021 can earn up to 32 units of Pass/No Pass credit. For students who started before fall 2021 and are pursuing a second bachelor’s degree or a Bachelor of Architecture degree, up to 40 units of Pass/No Pass are permitted.

Graduate students must take all degree-applicable courses for Letter grade.

Have a question?

The askUSC portal will help you find answers to our most commonly asked questions – and even some you may not have thought about. If you have any questions, or wish to email us, we invite you to askUSC

Note: Current USC students must use their official university email address ( for all official university communications.