Graduate Transfer Credit

Coursework Taken at an Institution Based Inside the U.S.

Graduate coursework taken at another institution within the United States before matriculation at USC can be made available for transfer credit at USC upon request. Students should contact us via our askUSC portal and request a Graduate Transfer Credit Report (GTCR). Official transcripts are required to complete this evaluation.

Degree Progress will include transfer coursework in the student record if the work meets the following criteria:

  • Transfer institution is regionally accredited in the U.S. to grant graduate degrees.
  • Courses are graded at least a 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 grading scale.
  • Courses are graduate level at the transfer institution and constitute a fair and reasonable equivalent to current USC coursework at the graduate level.
  • Courses logically fit into the program for the degree.


Once the transfer work is available on the student record, the academic department will determine whether or not course and unit credit will be used towards the degree.

Coursework Taken at an Institution Based Outside the U.S.

The Graduate and International Admissions Office reviews coursework taken at international institutions. Students must complete the International Graduate Transfer Credit Request Form and submit it to the Degree Progress department via Official transcripts are required to complete an evaluation.

Military Education

Academic credit will be awarded for graduate level coursework taken at a regionally accredited U.S. military institute or college upon receipt of official transcripts.

The university will also evaluate coursework and/or experience completed through the armed services and may award credit for such courses if they meet the following criteria:


  • Students must provide an official Joint Services (JST) transcript to Degree Progress.
  • Coursework must be evaluated by ACE as graduate credit.
  • Students must submit an articulation petition for each course in which credit is requested. Each petition must include a statement of faculty support.

No Credit

USC will not grant credit for the following:

  • DD-214 or DD-295
  • Coursework not offered in an area of study taught at USC
  • Coursework and/or experience not evaluated by ACE
  • DSST and CLEP exam scores
  • Other Learning Experiences (OLE’s)