Frequently Asked Questions

I've completed all my finals. When will my grades be posted to my record?
For fall, spring and summer terms, instructors must submit grades on the Grading and Roster System within four (4) working days from the date of the scheduled examination. Grades are officially released to students on OASIS five business days from the last final exam date for the university. 

What does a grade of “MG” mean?
The mark of MG (missing grade) results from the failure of the instructor to correctly assign a grade for you on the grade sheet, or a failure to return the completed grade sheet on time. Grade sheets turned in by instructors after the Grades Department completes the grading process require manual entry into the system. This can result in lengthy delays in posting student grades. You may wish to contact the instructor to determine which failure produced the Missing Grade and ask how the instructor plans to provide you with a final grade. You may also wish to periodically check OASIS. Effective as of the fall 2005 semester, marks of MG still unresolved after one year will be defaulted to a mark of UW (Unofficial Withdrawal).

What do I do if I have a grade of incomplete (IN) in a course that I recently completed?
Ask your instructor to contact the Grades Department. The instructor must obtain the Request Assignment of Final Grade from an Incomplete Form. The instructor assigns a final grade on the form and returns it to the Grades Department for processing. Incompletes not resolved within one year will be defaulted to a mark of IX (Expired Incomplete).

I am a sponsored student. How do I show my sponsor proof of course completion so that I can be reimbursed?
Unless Student Financial Services reports that the student is on sponsored status, USC does not automatically mail printed grade reports. Students can print a copy of their grade report through OASIS. Students can also contact the Grades Department at (213) 740-5586 to request that a copy of their semester grades be mailed to their permanent address.

What should I do if I received a grade of B but it should be an A?
Contact your instructor. If the instructor committed an error, he or she will initiate a Correction of Grade with the Grades Department.

Why didn't the instructor drop me from the course after I stopped attending it?
At USC, it is the student's responsibility to drop courses the student does not intend to complete.  Instructors cannot withdraw a student from a course.

Have a question?

The askUSC portal will help you find answers to our most commonly asked questions - and even some you may not have thought about. If you have any questions, or wish to email us, we invite you to askUSC

Note: Current USC students must use their official university email address ( for all official university communications.