How to File

The Veterans Certification Office is unavailable for in-person contact at this time.

However, we continue to offer email and virtual meeting support for any of your VA benefit-related questions and needs. Please email us at

The USC Veterans Certification Office certifies enrollment for USC students who apply and are eligible for educational assistance administered by the Veterans Administration. The office forwards enrollment certifications to regional offices of the Veterans Administration, provides assistance to students with problems related to the Veterans Administration educational (or covered) programs and maintains a reference file on all VA students for up to three years.

Advance Payment: The University of Southern California does not participate in advance payment for VA students.
In-person services are available in the Tutor Campus Center (TCC), Room 330D.

Applicants must be admitted and enrolled at USC. Alternately, if they are not admitted to USC, they must be admitted to another institution and be registered for a course or courses at USC. In such cases, joint (concurrent) certification is processed with the other school. Graduate students are allowed one year of enrollment before they are required to be fully admitted. Undergraduates must be fully admitted before filing.

All VA forms for first-time applicants, continuing students, and transfer students can be obtained on the VA website.

Students who wish to receive educational assistance must complete the online Application for Semester Entitlement (ASE) form each semester after class registration. The USC Veterans Certification Office will not certify students without a recent request on file.

Processing applications takes the Veterans Administration approximately six to eight weeks. After the USC Veterans Certification Office submits your paperwork to the Veterans Administration, you can expect a check for the current enrollment to arrive at the address provided on your ASE form six to eight weeks later. Thereafter, checks for each month will arrive at the beginning of the following month. After you have been certified, questions concerning payment should be directed to the Veterans Administration at 1-888-GIBILL-1.

  • VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-1990). For new applicants under VA programs: Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 (eligible veterans).
  • VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-5490). For new applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans).
  • VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-1990E). For transfer of entitlement under VA program: Chapter 33 (eligible dependents of veterans).
  • VA AUTHORIZATION FORM (VA 28-1905). For Vocational Rehabilitation under VA program: Chapter 31 (form must be submitted by VA Case Manager).


After class registration, first-time applicants must submit the following items: 

  1. Completed online ASE form (each semester).
  2. Copy of the VA Online Application submission or Statement of Benefits (Non – Ch. 31 recipients).
  3. Copy of the VA certificate of eligibility (Non – Ch. 31 recipients):
    • Required for Yellow Ribbon applicants. Military service end date and 100 percent Post-9/11 eligibility rate needed for veteran and spouse award consideration (children of active service members may qualify).
    • The certificate will be mailed by the VA directly to the student in response to the VA Online Application.
    • Upload your PDF document via our document submission form.
Please do not email VA documents.

Please note:
The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) is capped annually at private institutions such as USC, therefore various programs of study participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The items listed above are all required for Yellow Ribbon applicants.

For Vocational Rehabilitation recipients (Ch. 31), items 2 and 3 are not required. 



Questions about GI-Bill and related benefits? Please call 888-GIBILL-1.
Benefit eligibility questions? Please call 800-827-1000.  

Need benefit approval advocates? Visit the VA website.


Each semester, continuing students who wish to claim VA education benefits must complete the online Application for Semester Entitlement. The USC Veterans Certification Office certifies enrollment for past semesters (up to one year). Certification for future semesters is not available.


If you are new to USC and have received VA educational benefits at another school, or are attending USC under the GI Bill and are adding or changing a major or degree objective, you must complete and sign the appropriate form below through the VA Online Application system and email a PDF copy of the submission confirmation to the USC Veterans Certification Office.

Required Forms

  • VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-1995). For applicants under VA programs: Chapter 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 (eligible veterans).
  • VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-5495). For applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans).

The askUSC portal will help you find answers to our most commonly asked questions – and even some you may not have thought about. If you have any questions, or wish to email us, we invite you to askUSC.

Note: Current USC students must use their official university email address ( for all official university communications.