Grading and Correction of Grades
Grading and Corrections of Grades Handbook
SIGNATORY AND COORDINATOR REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADING DOCUMENTS
[source, Committee on Academic Policies and Procedures (CAPP)]
FACULTY REQUEST FOR CORRECTION OF GRADE FORM
Original signatures are required. No signature stamps or alternates with initials are permitted.
- Dean-level: Except in the larger schools, the original signature of the dean is required. In the larger schools, the dean may delegate the dean-level review and signatory authority to an associate or assistant dean.
- Chair-level: Original signatures of chairs are required.
- Instructor-level: Original signatures of instructors are required.
Emergency Signature Procedures
- Dean-level: If the case is an emergency, a pre-designated associate or assistant dean may review the request and sign in the absence of the dean.
- Chair-level: A pre-designated faculty member may review the request and sign in the absence of the chair.
- Instructor-level: No one may sign for the instructor unless it is impossible to reach the instructor. In such cases the chair may sign only if all relevant grading source documents are in the hands of the chair. A memo from the chair outlining the circumstances and indicating the source of the grading information is to accompany the form.
The chair of each academic department must designate a staff member to be responsible for coordination of Correction of Grade requests. All requests must be initiated by the instructor of the course in question, but these should be channeled through the Correction of Grade departmental coordinator for tracking purposes and to insure that proper procedures are followed.
SUBMISSION OF FINAL GRADES
Signatory Requirements for Submission of Final Grades
Only the instructor(s) of record can submit final grades using the Grading and Roster System. Final grades cannot be successfully submitted until all students in the section have been assigned a final grade. Instructor(s) of record must be entered into the appropriate section in the Schedule of Classes.
The chair of each academic department must designate a staff member to be responsible for the coordination of Submission of Final Grades using the Grading and Roster System.
Assignment of Final Grade of Completion of an Incomplete (IN) form
The original instructor of record must sign the form. No signature stamps or alternatives with initials are permitted. If it is impossible for the instructor to sign, the chair may sign if a memo is provided indicating why it is not possible for the instructor to sign and the grading source from which the chair is acting.
IMPORTANT TELEPHONE NUMBERS
ACADEMIC REVIEW – (213) 740-7741 (for Correction of Grade (COG) forms)
CURRICULUM OFFICE – (213) 740-1162 (request to change final exam date)
GRADE DEPARTMENT – (213) 740-5586 (for Incomplete (IN) and Missing Grade (MG) removal forms)
OFFICE OF ACADEMIC RECORDS AND REGISTRAR – (213) 740-4623
STUDENT JUDICIAL AFFAIRS AND COMMUNITY STANDARDS OFFICE – (213) 821-7373